Located in the Southwest region of California, the Imperial Sand Dunes officially called Algodones Dunes. The largest sand mass in the sate of California is located in the Imperial County, which is about 20 miles from Yuma, Arizona. This ancient dunes system extend for more than 40 miles in a band that averages 5 miles wide. The area is broke down into different sections such as Buttercup, or Grey’s Well, Gordon’s Well, Ogilby, Patton’s Valley, North Algodones Wilderness Area and Glamis. We will break this down for you.
Grey’s Well Area | Buttercup – This is the smaller area of the dunes and is the closet to Yuma, Arizona.
- How to get there: 32°44’23.0″N 114°53’00.7″W On Interstate 8 take the Grey’s Well Road Exit.
Gordon’s Well – Next section of the dunes, bigger area
- How to get there: 32°43’07.1″N 114°56’09.7″W On Interstate 8 take the Gordon’s Well Road Exit, Turn right on Evan Hewes highway follow the road over the canal bridge.
Ogilby – Smaller dune section area, larger area
- How to get there: 32°48’40.8″N 114°53’13., I-8, Winterhaven, CA 92283 On Interstate 8 take the Ogilby Road Exit, follow the road to 32°48’52.3″N 114°50’15.1″W make a left turn on the dirt
road called Sidewinder Road and follow that dirt path.
Patton’s Valley – Valley that can be accessed by Ogilby and Gordon’s Well.
- How to get there: 32°46’30.0″N 114°56’31. Winterhaven, CA 92283
North Algodones Dunes Wilderness Area – Area section off for preservation of wildlife
- How to get there: GENERAL AREA COORDINATES 33.012150729954286, -115.17085127030775 , take Ogilby Road to Ted Kipf Road follow road to coordinates, can also be accessed from Glamis
Glamis – Most North Part of the Dunes located above the Wilderness Area
- How to get there: 33.000362488556625, -115.07276182295355, take Ogilby Road to Ben Hustle Highway |Highway 78 make a left, Keep on the road till you find the coordinates.
For a printable map of the area and sections, click here