Imperial Sand Dunes is a beautiful area with interesting ancient history. One of the interesting aspects of it’s history is the origins of the Algodones Sand Dunes. Where did all this sand come from? Around the 1850s a man by the name of William Phipps Blake who was an American geologist, mining consultant, and an educator.
There is so much historical information about this area, that I have an endless amount of intriguing information about Yuma. It is also so sad to see that this once raging river (Colorado River) has been dried to a trickle. The Colorado River is one of the most endangered river in the United States. The
Quietly nestled in the Kofa Wildlife National Refuge in Yuma County Is Castle Dome Mine Museum. Castle Dome, 40 miles northeast of Yuma, contains the longest-working mine in Arizona. The museum is so authentically rich in history and insights that this will give you a wonderful view of what life was like when they mined.
Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park, was used by the US Army to store and distribute supplies for all the military posts in Arizona, and in some areas as posts in Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and Texas. A six-month supply of clothing, food, ammunition, and other goods was kept at the depot at all times.
Pholisma sonorae, also known as Sandfood, is a rare and unusual species of flowering plant endemic to the Sonoran Deserts to the west of Yuma, Arizona. Sand food lacks chlorophyll and is parasitic on roots of desert perennials, usually shrubs. The Sandfood which grows in Imperial Sand Dunes and Algodones Dunes , its fleshy stem extending up to two meters-six feet below
The beautiful Kofa National Wildlife Refuge is located northeast of Yuma, Arizona, southeast of Quartzsite, Arizona. The refuge, established in 1939 to protect Desert Bighorn Sheep, encompasses over 665,400 acres (2,693 km2) of the Yuma Desert region of the Sonoran Desert. On January 18, 1939, over 1.5 million acres (6,100 km2) were set aside at
La Fortuna Gold Mine the claim for the mine once sold for $700. The mine is located on a group of patented claims now within the Barry M Goldwater Gunnery Range which is owned by the U.S Bureau of Land Management by administered by the U.S. Marine Corps. Fortuna’s post office was established September 30, 1896
La Laguna Ghost town was once a small mining camp. The placer gold mining camp like many others didn’t last long. The few people that were there from 1860-1862 left the camp when the La Paz Gold struck. The site is now under the Mittry Lake waters.
Dome ghost town was originally Swiveler’s Station, 20 miles east of Fort Yuma, on the Butterfield Overland Mail route, a post office was established in 1858. It was first under the name of Gila City the nearby boomtown 1 1/2 mile west of Dome but the post office closed July 14, 1863. Most of the
Before Polaris made it’s brand famous, there once as a town in Yuma County that shared that name. Polaris’ post office was established June 17, 1909 and was discontinued July 31, 1914. Felix Mayhew discovered the outcropping responsible for Polaris and sold it for a cool $350,000. Polaris was named for the North Star and